MEC-LEPH Award to continue at LEPH2021 in Philadelphia
In 2016, Dr Melissa Jardine, former local student and school captain (1996), initiated the MEC-LEPH Award to provide a cultural and educational experience for Year 11 students at the Maryborough Education Centre.
In 2021, the Award will support two students to attend the international conference which will be held in Philadelphia, USA.
Awardees are selected by the school community through a competitive process.
Successful students are those who demonstrate leadership potential and are keen to pursue or explore a career or voluntary work locally or globally which promotes the importance of the law enforcement, public health, education and governance sectors in addressing complex social issues.
The purposes of the Award are:
- To inspire students to pursue volunteer or professional experience which aims to improve the wellbeing of society.
- To give students from Victoria’s most disadvantaged regional community a voice on an international stage
- To educate students about mechanisms for policy change and advocacy techniques
- To provide an educational and cultural experience for students by attending international conference
- To educate students on the importance of intersection between law enforcement and public health in Australian and international contexts
- To enhance student confidence in interacting with experts in LEPH, academics and practitioners
- To expose students to range of career pathways
- To increase partnerships linkages with local police to promote better police-community relationships
If you would like to support the Award please contact MEC or Melissa Jardine.
Media and links:
- ‘Australian students pave the way for next generation of LEPH practitioners’ LEPH2016 Amsterdam homepage
- ‘Student pair to carry campaign to Canada’ Maryborough Advertiser 2018
- ‘MEC students recipients of Centre for Law Enforcement & Public Health Award’ Goldfields Local Learning & Employment Network 2018
- ‘Local community promotes women’s leadership and LEPH2018 in rural Victoria, Australia’ LEPH2018 Toronto homepage
- Student testimonials following LEPH2018 – MEC newsletter